[sword-devel] modules for debian

Ben Armstrong sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 20:28:49 -0400

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 10:33:08PM +0000, Trevor Jenkins wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:
>
> > Have you ever really
> > looked at Debian?
>
> No. I thought it was implicit in my original reply that I do not use
> Debian.

Not really.  Just that you didn't know about their policies.  I didn't get
an impression one way or the other what you do know about Debian.

Well, as it stands today it takes 3 CDs to hold all of the binary packages
for Debian "main".  That number is only going to go up.  I wouldn't be
surprised if the next release required 4 CDs.  Debian tries to combat that
bloat a bit by not including a whole lot of data with the packages.  Where
a package requires lots of data, it is preferable to point to some other
source for that data and not include it.

With the addition of the "data"  section there would no longer be that
problem, as Debian mirrors (and CD vendors) could choose whether to carry
the data or not.  So it is possible that at some point all freely
distributable Sword modules will be included in Debian.

How much data are we talking about anyway?  Which modules can be freely
redistributed by anyone?

Ben