[sword-devel] modules for debian

Trevor Jenkins sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 16:18:28 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Daniel Glassey <danglassey@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to sort out exactly which modules would be considered as
> core and would be necessary for a base install of sword. Not every
> module can be in Debian, just a few, so we need to decide which
> ones.

I don't understand the reason for the Debian restriction. Some general
licencing with the modules' material or a Debianism? What about other
Linux distributions, e.g. RedHat, Mandrake, SuSE; subject to the same
restrictions?

> These are my thoughts:

I have radically different thoughts

> KJV - it's standard (~2.2MB, less without Strongs ref.)
> 1 more modern translation - WEB (~1.4MB)

The AV I can livest without thank thee muchly. Certainly a readable modern
translation should be core. Personally I'd like the CEV failing that the
NLT or the NET(*). Maybe the ISV or GW.

That is a translation is mandatory but nothing else. I don't think one
should specify which translation is core. Just that at least one must be
present for correct insttallation and operation. I might, for example,
only want a Swedish translation without any English text at all.

Though

> Personal commentary - so you can write notes (~40k)

is highly desirable. And might necessarily be considered core.

The following are essential "nice to haves" but certainly shouldn't be
considered "core" modules.

> 1 commentary - Matthew Henry Concise (~1.4MB)
> Strongs references - Standard greek and Hebrew references (~800k)
> Dictionary - Eastons or Naves or both (~1MB and ~700k)

Perhaps a reading scheme might be included with these essentials. The
Navigators publish on (as a PDF file, a Word document, and, if I recall
correctly, as Palm and Outlook calendar updates). My preference is for
"Through the Bible Every Day in One year" but unless it has recently
appeared in on-line format there's only printed versions available. (A
check of http://cover2cover.org/ later will tell me one way or the other.)
Or lectionary. The new Church of England Lectionary for "Common Worship"
isn't yet available on-line.

> There's also a copyright issue.

I'm not going to comment upon the copyright issue. I'm not a copyright
lawyer; I'm not a lawyer at all.

(*) Is any working on a NET module? I really like this translation and
have the HTML version on my workstation. The footnoting is prolific, with
every translational choice justified and corroborated. Wish that every
translation committee were that thorough. They advertise Palm and Logos
formats on their web site. I've got contacts with the NET team so if
anyone's interested and no one's already done so I'll approach them about
producing a sword module.

I'd also be intersted in an ISV version but I only have the RTF file
generated from Microsoft Word. And then only the New Testament; last time
I looked the Old Testament hadn't been completed.

The other modern translation I'd like to see is GW (God's Word). This too
is available in electronic format but sadly only as PDF files. :-(
Strcitly only for sampling purposes.

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living language.
Support the campaign for formal recognition by the British government now!

--

<>< Re: deemed!