[sword-devel] Re: [bt-devel] fast search

Trevor Jenkins sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 10:51:50 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, David Kahn <dkahn@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> Trevor Jenkins wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, David Kahn <dkahn@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > > ...  This would work
> > > with the scriptures because the bible is a fixed size, so once that
> > > index exists on a given word for a given version, it never changes.
> >
> > With the availability of books (commentaries etc) the size is not fixed.
> > Signature approaches such as rushmore suffer this problem.
>
> Yes, but the size of one given book or commentary would never change
> once the book is finished.

You're forgetting personal notes. These are expected to grow. After years
of use I'd expect to be able to search my notes with the same speed I
search the Bible text or someone else's notes ... uh book.

> So... what exactly is an inverted file system?

An index. Except that instead of putting selective terms in there with
their location(s) you are putting every term and its location. For Bible
modules location would be book-name, (optional) chapter number, verse
number, word within verse. For books it would be book-name, chapter,
sentence, word within sentence. (Actually I'd like to use this generic
book location pointer with Bible texts too.)

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living language.
Support the campaign for formal recognition by the British government now!

--

<>< Re: deemed!