[sword-devel] Freeing up modern bible text

Kirt Christensen sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 05 Feb 2001 19:09:52 -0500

I appologize for starting the name calling of the NIV as the "Nearly
Inspired Version" of the Bible.  I get carried away.  I should have focused
on my points about the pallete of the hungry and distribution practices
instead of pokeing at its "translational" weak points.  I cut my teeth on
the NIV and stubbed a toe or two as well.

My point on packaging for the cultural pallete and distribution stands.  The
Sword project is more like a technology soup kitchen in its ministry than a
franchise like Zondervan.  In the same way that a soup kitchen can't make
copies and freely distribute the Big Mac and still call it the Big Mac, so
The Sword project needs to forget about freeing the NIV.  This ministry is
not about the free distribution of the NIV.  Lets concentrate on what we can
control and can do and not be frustrated by what we can't.

This project is a tremendous Christian work and will have a lasting
evangelistic impact in the years ahead.  An impact that will not be hindered
by the NIV being owned and sold in anyway.

(By the way.  The recipe for the Big Mac is: 2 all beef patties, special
sauce, lettuce, cheese, on a sesame seed bun.  If the bible where that easy
to duplicate and repackage for distribution we would have no problem... and
then again no point in doing it.)