[sword-devel] su

Don A. Elbourne Jr. sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 17:20:18 -0600

I'm trying to compile Sword on my web server again. I tried about a month
ago and got too frustrated.  :-) but now I'm trying it again.

The server is running RedHat and I tellnet in. Chris Little gave me a
snapshot gz file and I placed it on my server and extracted the archive. I
ran make and I did not see any error messages. It created
sword/lib/libsword.a and sword/lib/libsword.so

I then tried to run su. It asked me for a password. I don't know what su is,
but I'm assuming that it is trying to do something in a directory above
mine. Since it is a webhosting account, I don't have access all the way to
the root of the machine.

So my question... What is su trying to do and is there any config file that
I can change to have it do its thing in a directory I have access to?

Thank-you for being patient with me. I'm new at this and I'm trying my very
best.

by grace alone,

Don A. Elbourne Jr.
http://elbourne.org