[sword-devel] Re: [bt-devel] fast search

Trevor Jenkins sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 22:56:57 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, David Kahn <dkahn@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> Hi.  I have been watching the forum here for a little while, reluctant
> to get involved right now with development because of other
> commitments.  However, I am also interested in a fast search engine
> development.

You and me both.

> ...  This would work
> with the scriptures because the bible is a fixed size, so once that
> index exists on a given word for a given version, it never changes.

With the availability of books (commentaries etc) the size is not fixed.
Signature approaches such as rushmore suffer this problem.

> Any thoughts?

My experience has been with inverted file systems (15+ years in commerical
R&D of text retrieval systems). These do not impose limitations upon the
size of the source text. I'll dig out my notes from about a year ago when
I first suggested a fast search feature and put together a more detailed
specification.

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living language.
Support the campaign for formal recognition by the British government now!

--

<>< Re: deemed!