[sword-devel] Open Content Creation

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 22:04:58 -0800

> > I think 3 is the only real option.  It is simply not possible to stop
> > someone from creating a NWT module and putting it out for downloading.
> > Period.
>
> Personally, i'd like to see a NWT module.  Not because i believe it, but
> for purposes of comparison.  I have a print copy of it on my shelf
> already.  Online Bible ships with a Quran module!

I think NWT is still under copyright. <g>

The way I've looked at this issue myself, as a module-maker, is that I have
better ways of spending my time than making NWT or Joseph Smith Translation
modules for Sword.  I can't reconcile spending time on them that could be
spent converting a new commentary or even
yet-another-English-language-translation.  I've thought about doing the JST
as a word-by-word diff of the KJV, and probably I will some day, but at
least there I'm able to say to myself that I'm not producing something that
could be used for other than my intended purposes.  If JW or Mormon groups
want to produce content for Sword, I would say let them feel free.  We don't
have to host it, or advertise it, or even acknowledge it.

A Qur'an module is a whole different issue until Sword achieves a lot more
flexability in terms of book types.

--Chris