[sword-devel] Cool idea: Commercial Linux /Windows Bible prog ram based on Sword

Alexander Garden sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 22:35:13 +0000

Bob,

Would you be willing to give us technical specs on your LLS format? I have some
LLS PD stuff that I would like to be able to use without having to reboot into
that nasty Windows thing. (I probably would just dump them to text or html,
because they are standard books and not bibles.) If this risks your business or
relationships with publishers, I am sorry for wasting your time and list space.
Just hoping. :)

Alexander Garden

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 08:58:39AM -0800, Bob Pritchett wrote:
> I'm afraid I'm not in a position to give advice on approaching specific
> organizations.
>
> I can say, however, that we have a full-time person who does nothing but
> call on publishers, with three other people regularly involved. It's a lot
> of work.
>
> Did I ever mention that Logos was initially written to be a shareware
> project? My partner and I wrote version 1.0 in our spare time and were going
> to distribute it as shareware over BBS's, etc. (back in the pre-web days)
>
> It was our inability to get licenses to copyrighted texts like the NIV, etc.
> that compelled us to create a company, quit our jobs, and make a commercial
> product.
>
> So I'm very sympathetic to the problem you're facing with these texts and
> publishers, but you can see what solution I chose to the problem. :-)

Can't say I like you any worse for it.