[sword-devel] Cool idea: Commercial Linux /Windows Bible pro

Tsoloane Moahloli sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 01 Feb 2001 08:36:51 +0200 (SAST)

On 31-Jan-2001 Jerry Hastings wrote:
> However, if you had a private key under an alias and had covered your
> tracks in getting such locked modules, what would stop you from giving
> those modules and key away? It seems to me that all these "locks" are like
> locks on doors to buildings, which only keep out people that are unwilling
> to break a window.
>
> Jerry

I disagree.  Imagine this scenarion.
I buy a copy of MSOffice and thus I now have a product key for the copy.  I
then 'lend' this copy to a friend, who uses the product key to install it on
his own machine.  The person who sold me the software cannot be blamed for
this, the burden of honesty is now on the user and not on programmer.  Using an
open protocol like a public/private key combo or something should assure the
publisher of the programmers integrity and from that point on the playing field
is level.  They can then distribute/sell the sword modules themselves etc.

--
An error can never become true however many times you repeat it.
The truth can never be wrong, even if no one hears it.

Tsoloane Moahloli
Zen Computing (Pty)Ltd.
phone +27 11 706 7054
email: tsoloane@zen.co.za               URL: http://www.zen.co.za