[sword-devel] Cool idea: Commercial Linux /Windows Bible prog ram based on Sword

Bob Pritchett sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 16:10:33 -0800

For what it's worth, in my experience Bible societies aren't "profit"
oriented. They're non-profit organizations. They do prefer, when they can,
to get money for their copyrighted content rather than to give it away. But
I think the reasoning, when you understand it, is not as "greedy" as you
might think.

Keep in mind that these organizations have, for the most part, a very global
orientation and that most of them work together. (Particularly those
affiliated with the United Bible Societies.)

Some of the regional organizations (say, the American Bible Society) are
located in relatively rich countries where the majority of the population
can afford to pay a modest price for a Bible. So they charge for paper
Bibles, protect the copyright and require licensing fees in order to protect
the ability to charge, etc.

And yes, they often bring in more money than they need to fund their local
operations. But this isn't profit -- there are no shareholders to pay
dividends to. It's money that gets funnelled into projects for people who
can't pay. It goes to special distribution/education projects in the home
market and it goes to subsidize operations and translation efforts in
countries where there isn't a large local market.

So if you're unhappy about a Bible society wanting a few dollars (and
copyright protection, etc. which protects their ability to collect those
dollars) for their English language Bible, for which they long ago covered
all the translation/production costs, keep in mind that you're actually
subsidizing the (equally, if not more, expensive) translation of the Bible
into hundreds of languages where there isn't a large market and where the
people who need the Word can't afford even a few dollars.

It could be argued that the Bible should be free to everyone everywhere, and
that if there isn't money to translate it into a small language in Asia than
churches and individuals should contribute. I agree, and this is the case to
an extent. But, tithing and good intentions aside, it's often easier for the
Bible translation community as a whole to get $10-20 from you for every copy
of the Bible you personally desire, and send it off to the many projects
around the world that they participate in, than to give the Bibles to you
for free and hope you'll remember to send a gift. :-)

-- Bob