[sword-devel] GNU and OS ideologies applied to translation

Chris sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 13:33:37 +1100

It would be the major translations, NASB, NIV, Good News, KJV (or openly
developed equivilents), with a number of options. Maybe most of them
aren't sliders, just on or off, depending on how many combinations there
are.
Examples might be
Old English->Modern English (especially applicable KJV).
Use Jewish terms, Use closest English term (were we talking fringes?)
Use Anglicised names, Use transliterated names.
Use YHWH, use LORD.
Various common things like use "Truely Truely", or use "Truely I say to
you (niv)", or
    use "flesh", use "sinful nature (niv)".

Whether more complex combinations are possible would depend if someone
can figure out how to do it. The above would be plenty to begin with.