[sword-devel] conversations with Stallman

Jerry Kreps sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 17:57:36 -0600

On Friday 21 December 2001 00:11, Mike Dougherty wrote:
> On Thu, 2001-12-20 at 16:42, Jerry Kreps wrote:
> > On Thursday 20 December 2001 13:20, Lutz, Tom wrote:
> > > I know that we're not missing the main idea but I can't
> > > resist...
> > >
> > > What do we think the main populace of Bible software users
> > > (basic or advanced) will be working on, Windows of Linux?
> > > Clearly, today, it's Windows.  I don't see this changing too
> > > much in the near future and wouldn't develop for something
> > > other than Windows for Bible software because of it.
> >
> > What? No vision?  Paradigm shifts happen suddenly, with little
> > warning.  The Windows ---> Linux paradigm shift is on the cusp
> > now. If you want to ride the wave when the tsunami hits, now is
> > the time to prepare.  Besides, Tom, when you use a wiget set like
> > QT you have the best of both worlds.  Your work with C++ and the
> > QT toolkit is cross platform.  That's why you see so many QT apps
> > underdevelopment that have executables for both Linux and
> > WIndows.   Now, what do you think is going to happen when people
> > find these neat QT based apps and realize that they can run the
> > same app on a Linux distro like SuSE 7.3 for a fraction of the
> > costs of XP and combine that with the realization that SuSE 7.3
> > or Mandrake 8.1 installs easier that XP, is much more stable and
> > extremly more secure?
>
> Being new to the C++ world I have no idea what QT is? I know what
> JFC (Swing) is, and I know that it's cross platform.

http://www.trolltech.com/developer/download/index.html
and get the free version from
http://www.trolltech.com/developer/download/qt-x11.html

About Qt

Qt is a cross-platform C++ GUI application framework. It provides
application developers with all the functionality needed to build
state-of-the-art graphical user interfaces. Qt is fully
object-oriented, easily extensible, and allows true component
programming.

Since its commercial introduction in early 1996, Qt has formed the
basis of many thousands of successful applications worldwide. Qt is
also the basis of the popular KDE Linux desktop environment, a
standard component of all major Linux distributions.

Qt is supported on the following platforms:

MS/Windows - 95, 98, NT 4.0, ME, and 2000
Unix/X11 - Linux, Sun Solaris, HP-UX, Digital Unix, IBM AIX, SGI IRIX
and a wide range of others
Macintosh - Mac OS X
Embedded - Linux platforms with framebuffer support.

 Qt is a product of Trolltech.

Qt is released in different editions:

Qt Enterprise Edition and Qt Professional Edition provide for
commercial software development. They permits traditional commercial
software distribution and includes free upgrades and Technical
Support Service. For the latest prices, please see the Trolltech web
site, Pricing and Availability page, or contact sales@trolltech.com.
The Enterprise Edition offers extended modules over the Professional
Edition.

Qt Free Edition is the Unix/X11 version of Qt available for
development of Free and Open Source software only. It is provided
free of charge under the terms of both the Q Public License and the
GNU General Public License. The latest version is available for
download.

Qt/Embedded Free Edition is the Embedded version of Qt available for
development of Free software only. It is provided free of charge
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.

> > Global floods happen!  ;-)
>
> Not anymore. We've been promised. But the sentiment wasn't lost
> ;-).

ROF,L

JLK