[sword-devel] OT: can you be a Christian evolutionist?

Jerry Kreps sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 17:28:56 -0600

On Thursday 20 December 2001 23:50, Chris wrote:
{snip}
> The entropy arguments aren't that good. If you have a
> mutation mechanism, and a selection mechanism, then
> there can be a reduction in entropy. The question is, was
> there enough time, and a big enough sampling
> to result in life as we know it without
> God. I can't see it myself. There are far too few
> mutations and I never saw a mutation which
> was a benefit.

Contraire!
You fail to understand the central tenents of Thermodynamics.
The three laws of Thermodynamics rules all science with a fist of
Iron, including the theories of evolution, no matter how they are
expressed.  "Mechanisms" of any kind, operating in any direction in
space and/or time cannot, of their own accord, in part or in whole,
escape the result of the entropy of the Universe increaseing.
Temporary decreases of entropy in a system at the expense of an even
greater increases in entropy of the surroundings cannot be sustained
to the point of 'evolving' life which, even by Punk Ek terms,
requires lots of time.
No exceptions have ever survived the challange.  I repeat the three
laws of thermo in the way I used to introduce them in my college
physics classes:
They are like the laws of dating:
1) you cannot win
2) you cannot break even
3) you cannot get out of the game.

Winning is getting more work out of a system than the equivilent
energy put in.  Wout > Ein.  The classic windmill powered cars are an
example.
Breaking even is getting work out of the system equal to the energy
put in.  Wout = Ein.  The magnetic drivers and the wheel with the
swinging weights are examples.
Getting out of the game is having access to a heat sink that is at
Absolute Zero, enabling 100% efficiency at any Temperature.
Normally, Efficiency = (Thigh -Tllow/Thot   IF Tlow is zero then
efficiency is 100% regardless of Thigh.
In fact, Rule 2 is what allows us to understand Time and its flow.
We know from experience that rocks don't suddenly lift off the bottom
of a pond, rise to the surface and explode from it, throwing water in
all directions, climb through the air to the edge of an overhanging
cliff and attach itself permenantly onto that cliff.  If we saw a
video of that we would rightly understand it as being played
backwards.  If we say that event in realtime we would immediately
start looking for men behind the curtin.
JLK