[sword-devel] Problems with Hebrew in SWORD

Clifford W. Racz sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 10:19:42 -0500

The sword program for windows (and I am virtually certain the Linux version
as well) has problems rendering the Hebrew correctly for both the Modern
Hebrew version and the BHS.  The problems are as follows:

1.  The Masoretic marks that are not vowels points appear as "special
character" boxes.
2.  The right-to-left direction that Hebrew is read is not followed by your
browser.  So, sentences end up being partitioned inappropriately
3.  The numbers for the verse end up at the end of the verse, not the
beginning

I am not a good programmer but I may be able to help someone by having them
do work and then I check it to make sure that the rendering is proper.  I
have made a Word doc that illustrates what I am saying.  I have also
included screen shots of a program that renders the text properly for your
reference.  See it at:
http://helios.ecn.purdue.edu/~racz/misc/Bible/sword_rendering_problem.doc

The Hebrew Unicode chart I will refer you to is:
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0590.pdf

Cliff