[sword-devel] GNU and OS ideologies applied to translation

David Burry sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 04:05:34 -0800

At 08:26 PM 12/21/2001 +1100, chris@bitmead.com wrote:
>Who said anything about mixing styles? The main point is choosing styles.

which can already be done by choosing versions... however, having something
that lets you more easily compare how certain phrases can be translated in
a side-by-side (or per-phrase "choosing") manner is an excellent study
tool.  You know, like that interlinear 26 translation New Testament I once
saw, only in a sword module instead of printed on dead trees...  If people
really want to twist a text to mean something it doesn't they will anyway,
whether we provide a tool that makes it easier or not.  Just because some
study tools benefit the unjust as well as the just doesn't mean we must all
be deprived.  The rain from heaven falls on all of us!  ;o)  Just make it
with "study tool" in mind instead of "design your own version to say
whatever you want" in mind, ok?

Someone way back in the beginning mentioned something about designing your
own version from all possible choices and now everyone's harping on
that.... can't you all put that aside for a sec and see what a wonderful
study tool it would be to just have all the different possibilities
listed?  I want da study tool mannn!!!!  ;o)

Dave