[sword-devel] GNU and OS ideologies applied to translation

Chris sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 20:58:34 +1100

>Fast food Bible style. Have it your way! Interpretation by feel good
>demographic preferences.

Why should it be that different styles of interpretation must equate to
"feel good" ??

>Heck lets vote on interpretation already! This is
>soooo slipery a slope.

People already choose their translation. Or do you want everyone to use the
Authorized Version ?

>How do I slide language? Give practical examples.

Each translation would be rated on literalness (NASB -> KJV -> NIV ->
Good News -> etc).
Difficulty of language (KJV -> NASB -> NIV -> Good News). etc.

>We already have enough of that problem without putting
>your GUN in the hands of the unsuspecting public.

Why call it a gun? Why not call it a tool? Take the word "flesh" as used
by Paul, but
the NIV translates "Sinful Nature". One could argue that flesh is a bad
translation,
because it doesn't have the meaning in this day and age that Paul meant.
Now if
all the occurances of flesh in this context were tagged <idiom
type="flesh">flesh</idiom>
you could right click in NASB on flesh, and get the option to change all
to the
NIV translation. And the reader is instantly enlighted by a translation
that is more
appropriate to their understanding.

>People never take all the
>roads. Most just take the ones that please them. Dont give them any more
>detours around difficult texts PLEASE!!!

Not much point in the texts are so difficult they don't understand them.