[sword-devel] Spending $1,000,000 in development and giving away the fruits

Michael Rempel sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 00:29:19 -0800

> > You can't expect someone to shell out $1,000,000 or so making a new
> > translation, and then giving it away for free can you?
>
> That depends entirely on your purpose. If your purpose was spreading the
> Gospel, you certainly can be expected to ``throw away'' $1,000,000.00+.
> Certainly, Jesus has already invested a good deal in us, and there's more
> spending and risk still to come for Him.
>
> OTOH, if your purpose is running a business, No.
>
> Choose ye this day which mode to operate in. Compromise is possible (ie to
> aim for breakeven or something like it) but even for a one-man-band the
> different motivations will fight each other continuously. Energy that
would
> otherwise go toward your purpose vanishes into internal friction.

Why so? What is intrinsic to business that makes it unspiritual? Look at
Focus on the Family. Even if you disagree with their theology or practice, I
am talking primarily about their mode of doing the job. They operate as
publishers. What is intrinsic to publishing that makes it unholy? What about
making money off of truth is wrong? I realize this is asking for a rant to
match mine but I am just sooo curious about why you are feeling this way. To
me it makes no sense. Everyone needs to eat, and live, so money has to come
from somewhere. What you do with most of your time should in some way put
food on the table, should it not? Or does everyone who God calls to make
translation have to be independantly wealthy as a fleece for their calling?
Cant they make a profit, and relax, do some studying, learn the errors of
their ways, fix mistakes, and publish a second edition? Then a third, Then
their grandkids a Fourth and so on? Mabey take a vacation now and then,
support a ministry here and there without asking the world for permission
and live a decent life?

As for you, well at least you can get a copy of scriptures. In Biblical
times it cost a year's salary per copy to have just the Torah. A full set of
scrolls was the fortune of a lifetime for a wealthy man. You have many
lifetimes of hard won millionares fortunes at your fingertips. Even our tiny
mouse clicks are so cheap and easy compared to the hour or so it takes to
roll a scroll from end to end. Perhaps it is not that we must pay too much,
but that we are willing to pay too little is the problem.

Michael