[sword-devel] Saul/Paul

Jerry Kreps sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 19:40:37 -0600

On Tuesday 18 December 2001 05:43, Michael Rempel wrote:

> To even concieve of scripture as some how a seperate thing, not
> part of the people, not part of life itself, is a culturally
> evolved, Greek rooted notion. I would go further, and say it is a
> Enlightenment notion that has no historical validity in any culture
> of the ancient era. I would further say that there is a risk of
> embracing a modified gnostic dualism in that notion. I think it
> prudent to care not to set scripture up on a pedestal and make it
> less than real.

Some of the Jews became more devoted to the Word of God than to God
Himself.  Considering themselves co-authors, they began tacking on
their own views, building a tradition of rules which no one could
keep.    Jesus warned about them in John 5:385-39
"But the testimony which I have is greater than that of John; for the
works which the Father has granted me to accomplish, these very works
which I am doing, bear me witness that the Father has sent me.  And
the Father who sent me has himself borne witness to me. His voice you
have never heard, his form you have never seen; and you do not have
his word abiding in you, for you do not believe him whom he has sent.
You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have
eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to me;  yet you refuse
to come to me that you may have life."

Some Christians do the same with the "New Testement".  In truth the
New Covanent is Jesus Christ Himself.
JLK