[sword-devel] GNU and OS ideologies and indulgences

Chris sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 01:00:01 +1100

>Too many people go roamin in Romans for ever without understanding it well.

Would you acknowledge, that maybe, just maybe there is someone somewhere
who actually understands Romans? Would you further stretch your
imagination that this person also has an internet connection?

>You still have not said who the audience is. I am not going to please many Catholic friends if I take the translation that pleases me most, the Orthodox Jewish Brit Chadasha, and Jewish Press OT as the basis. I problably wont please many of you either.

Sounds like you don't want a garden variety bible. Maybe you are the
audience then?

>I wory about names for instance. John's real name was Yochanan.

[snip much discussion about names ]

Like I said, if the text was heavily marked up with tags, you could if
you wanted choose a Good-News translation with Jewish transliterated
names. Shouldn't this then make you happy??

>Then there is a whole world of background information, ideas, concepts, and so on that translation by itself cant touch.

So acknowedging that translation can't touch it, then it's not an issue
is it? You could
call it a Fringe or a Tzit, or a do-dad, and it will make no difference.
In that situation
you need a commentary to get the whole background. But if you are a guru
with all
the Jewish stuff, why shouldn't you be able to read say a NASB with the
"Jewish Guru" checkbox set to "on", which turns fringes into Tzit Tzits ??