[sword-devel] GNU and OS ideologies and indulgences

Michael Rempel sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 19:00:07 -0800

> Holding little value also are the translations that push a doctrinal
> view and do damage to the clear meaning of the source texts in doing
> so.  One such translation that comes to mind is the "Star Bible".
> JLK

I will just add to this notion the simple fact that TRUTH is not a matter of
democratic process. Scripture is full of examples. Unless you realize that
no one has motivations that can be ascribed as completely pure, there is no
real objectivity, and before commencing with a work like this you need to
carefully examine and declare your motivation for what you are undertaking
before you can do it with anything like sincere credibility.

The democratic process is vital to writting software like SWORD. But it
doesnt make great translation. Similarly the Wendys Bible (have it your way)
is hardly an honest approach. All you propose is re-arranging the already
available texts to make yet another fast food mess. Translation is an act of
choosing a method to convey meaning, to bring understanding, and to put what
our God, Lord and Saviour, Ruach Kaddosh (Holly Spirit is such a watered
down term) said, meant, did, was, is, will be, into our Kishkas (Hebrew term
for heart soul mind, means guts litterally, but all at once, none of this
Greek seperation of mind body and soul stuff). Anything less is a waste of
time.

Michael