[sword-devel] [Fwd: BOUNCE sword-devel@crosswire.org: Non-member submission from ["Jeremy Bettis" <jeremyb@hksys.com>]]

Mike Dougherty sword-devel@crosswire.org
14 Dec 2001 12:03:31 -0800

On Thu, 2001-12-13 at 16:12, Jerry Hastings wrote:
> At 02:19 PM 12/13/2001 -0700, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
>
> >But there are still expenses associated with creating the translation.
> >Salaries of the translators, big expensive Greek and Hebrew dictionaries,
> >etc.
>
> True, ink and paper and such, need to be paid for by someone. And before
> the printing press a scroll was very expensive to produce. But if you had a
> scroll and had the money to cover the expenses you were free to make more
> copies. Though some religious officials may have objected for "religious"
> reasons.
>
> >You can't expect someone to shell out $1,000,000 or so making a new
> >translation, and then giving it away for free can you?
>
> Yes, you can.

I agree with you Jerry. I've been trying to find a scripture ever since
you sent this, but as it may be obvious, my knowledge is lacking. I
believe that it is written in there somewhere that whatever God calls
you to do (including translating His Word) he will equip you
spiritually, intellectually, AND financially! I could go on-and-on about
all the things people do to serve the body of Christ without expecting
or getting anything in return. All you have to do is look around your
own church and community to see what I am talking about.

Can I expect to read and study God's Word for free in written,
electronic, and any other form? You darn right I do!

Just my thoughts,
/mike

 Mike Dougherty -- Java Software Engineer