[sword-devel] GNU and OS ideologies and indulgences

Jerry Kreps sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 08:15:14 -0600

On Tuesday 11 December 2001 01:48, Jerry Hastings wrote:
[snip]

> And we don't buy and sell  indulgences. Or do we?
> It has been said, by one of the pioneers of making free
> Bible etexts and study etexts, that the granting and accepting of
> permissions in the Church, for money or gratis, is a modern
> equivalent of indulgences. Taking what God freely gave and then
> demanding others get permission before they can use it in the way
> they wish.

I am not sure I follow you on this....  aksing payment of license
fees in exchange for permission to use copyrighted material is the
same as granting permission to commit sin without fear of God's
retribution?   Or, are you saying it is a sin to copyright God's Word
in any form?  The latter statement I agree with because all
versions/translations of God's Word are "derived works."

> The best thing about SWORD may be that so much can be
> done with it without anyone needing to ask permission to do it. No
> one connected to SWORD even has to know about these things that may
> be being done.

Exactly!  It is the advantage of all GPL & Open Source projects!
May the Sword forever remain so in all regards.
Jerry