[sword-devel] My personal OpenSource ideologies

Bobby Nations sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 09 Dec 2001 21:59:36 -0600

Mike,

My shallow understanding of things.

STL is short for the Standard Template Library in C++.  It was originally
implemented by HP and later became a part of the standard.  The STL consists
of generic implementations of most of what the average programmer will ever
need in regard to containers for their objects and algorithms to manipulate
them.  The best thing about it is it's generic nature.  You don't have to
subclass or cast anyting to use them; just crank them up and let them go.

The collections classes in Java 2 mimic the STL in many ways, but are less
elegant than STL because you have to cast everything to the appropriate
object type when retrieving from a collection.  IMHO, the lack of templates
and operator overloading are among the two biggest shortcomings in Java
(sometimes the lack of reliable destructors moves up the list as well :-|).

Hope that helps.

Bobby

BTW, sorry for posting the ant build file twice.  Gnome crashed on me during
the middle of sending the first email, and I wasn't certain if it would make
it or not.