[sword-devel] Multimap (was: I want to port the API to Java)

Chris sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 09 Dec 2001 23:31:37 +1100

> Many Java and C compilers are not freely distributable in source form
> either, yet we support them...  Okay, that's not the same thing,

As you say, it's not the same thing.

> but it seems we're in the business of spreading the Gospel of Christ
> not necessarily the Gospel of Open Source.  My point is open source in
> all its glory is still just a means to an end, not necessarily the end
> in and of itself.

As you said, Open Source IS a means to an end. That's why you are using
it, because it IS an effective means. Closed source is not such an
effective means.

> If an external library does it faster and more compact than we could
> on our own, I don't see anything against it, especially if we can
> distribute it ourselves and the end user doesn't even have to know.

Will you see something against it when Objectspace pulls it and you are
left high and dry?