[sword-devel] Multimap (was: I want to port the API to Java)

David Burry sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 08 Dec 2001 10:28:55 -0800

Many Java and C compilers are not freely distributable in source form
either, yet we support them...  Okay, that's not the same thing, but it
seems we're in the business of spreading the Gospel of Christ not
necessarily the Gospel of Open Source.  My point is open source in all its
glory is still just a means to an end, not necessarily the end in and of
itself.

If an external library does it faster and more compact than we could on our
own, I don't see anything against it, especially if we can distribute it
ourselves and the end user doesn't even have to know.  If it adds bloat and
useless features we could avoid by doing it ourselves, then lets do it
ourselves if feasible.  Also if it's a very large and complicated project
and a moving target and in a field where we're not all experts and
something we really need (like Unicode, though Java already has that),
let's use an external library too if there's a good one.  It's your call.

As always, I only speak my own opinions, the only ones I have... ;o)

Dave