[sword-devel] I want to port the API to Java

Daniel Glassey sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 17:12:41 -0000

On 5 Dec 2001 at 8:29, Mike Dougherty sent forth the message:

> On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 04:52, Darrell Burk wrote:
> > I've just recently learned about the Sword project, and I can't say how glad I am that there is a project that I can be personally involved in that is getting free online Bibles out to people!
> >
> > Anyway, I'm interested in doing a Java port of the Sword API. It's premature to think about it now, but I think I'd like to do a Java GUI after the port...
> >
> > Where can I get the information I'll need to port the API? Also, is there already work on this in progress, and if so could they use help?
>
> I would also like to see a Java port of this software. I actually read
> about a mysterious project called JSword (which I assumed was a Java
> port), but when I asked the list about it no body provided any
> information about it.
>
> Maybe between the two of us we can get something going?

Hi, sorry no-one replied to your earlier message Mike. JSword is actually the cvs module for the
jsps on the website not the sword API. There's been talk before about porting it to Java but I
don't think anyone has got very far yet (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong)
It would be great to see something though :)

In the sword CVS is the API documentation doc/api-documentation/
That and the developers page http://www.crosswire.org/sword/develop/index.jsp
are a good place to start, and post any questions to the list.

hth,
Daniel