[sword-devel] HELP! Need your feedback on XML Markup Language

Alan Jackson sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 17:52:27 -0500

I haven't been following his too closely, so forgive me if this has already
been posted, but it looks terribly relevant...

August 29, 2001

2001-235

'Free trade zone' for electronic Bible texts takes major step forward

by Jan Nunley

     (ENS) Commercial and non-profit groups, spearheaded by the
American Bible Society (ABS) and the Society of Biblical Literature
 (SBL), have agreed to develop a markup of the Bible and related
texts, based in the XML document format language, to be called the
Open Scriptural Information Standard (OSIS). The effort has been
dubbed a "free trade zone" for the Bible by John Walter, group
director of strategic development for ABSinteractive, the technology
arm of ABS. The initiative was announced at the Bible Technologies
Conference, held earlier this year in Chantilly, Virginia, which
brought together a global mix of Bible publishers, scholars,
software manufacturers and technical experts.

     Steven DeRose, chief scientist at the Brown University
Scholarly Technology Group, was one of the keynote presenters at
the conference, where he was appointed chair of the newly formed
Bible Technology Group. "This joint effort of many commercial and
non-profit groups, spearheaded by ABS and SBL, will be a great boon
to all those interested in studying, distributing, or otherwise
working with the Bible and related texts," said DeRose, a veteran
of standards efforts, including XML, X Base, XPath, XPointer, Xlink,
Open eBook, TEI, EAD and others. "I have been especially impressed
by the goodwill, focus on results, and intellectual quality of the
Bible Technologies Conference participants."

     When completed, OSIS will free texts from "proprietary" formats
that make it difficult for publishers to reuse their own materials
and for users to exchange or reuse their own work. The interim
organization of working groups will investigate the various aspects
of creating a "portable text" which will enable all persons to read,
without hindrance, an open source portable text. Participants envision
a greater electronic sharing of the Bible itself, which will aid
scholars, publishers and missions organizations in their work.

     Kent Richards, executive director of SBL, notes that the situation
now is "mass chaos" because everyone uses an individual computer
language rather than using OSIS. This is especially confusing to
"mass users who are unsophisticated," Richards says.

     A half-dozen working groups were formed at the conference to
address the variety of topics raised by the establishment of a
common text format, in essence creating roadmaps for standards
development. The guiding principle for the groups is increasing
communication between scholars, religious communities and laypersons
interested in biblical and related texts.

     The Bible Technology Group will have a two-day meeting to discuss
OSIS just prior to the American Academy of Religion/Society of
Biblical Literature (AAR/SBL) annual meeting in Denver, November 15-16,
2001. Registration for the OSIS meeting will open at the
www.bibletechnologies.org website on September 14, 2001. Registration
for AAR/SBL covers the OSIS meeting.

| Alan K. Jackson            | To see a World in a Grain of Sand      |
| alan@ajackson.org          | And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,         |
| www.ajackson.org           | Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand |
| Houston, Texas             | And Eternity in an hour. - Blake       |