[sword-devel] Docs for getting started...

Jesse Jacobsen sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 08:10:39 -0500

Hi Martin,

On 08/06/01, Martin Gruner wrote:
> Though I am not an expert in those technical details I think a c++ version of
> your search algorithm(s) would be the best solution, though a python
> interface would be possible.

Two of them are already coded mainly in C, though not by me.  I'm
using Python's built-in regular expressions (Perlish) and a C
extension module called mxTextTools that's on the cutting edge for
speed and versatility in string searches.   The word-oriented search
will be all Python, though, and will probably benefit from being
re-written in a lower level language.  Until it's finished, the speed
should be acceptable because the grunt work is done by simply looking
up words in a Berkeley DB (Btree) database to get a list of verses
where they occur.

> RAWGBF is a filter class. Sword provides modules in several types of markup
> (ThML, GBF etc) and filters to convert between these. The RAWGBF filter
> converts a given text from nok markup to GBF.

OK.  I found some useful descriptions on ThML and GBF in the Bibletime
CVS tree.  For now, I'm assuming that "nok markup" above was a typo.

Is it anticipated that future ThML modules could be anything someone
wants to make a module out of?  BibleWorks includes the Westminster
Confessions, for example, while Northwestern Publishing House and
Concordia Publishing House are selling Logos modules for the Lutheran
Book of Concord and the American edition of Luther's Works.  It seems
that a ThML encoding of things like this could be managed, displayed,
and searched with Sword.  I suppose STEP is another possibility, but I
like the generality of an XML-based standard better.

> You may want to try the documents at http://sf.net/projects/sword in the
> documentation section. And jsut ask here if something is missing.

This is very helpful.  I'm inclined to wonder if writing a Python
Sword API would be the best way to go for starters.  This was
mentioned earlier on this list, but I don't know if someone's working
on it.  I can also make my Python work available to anyone interested
in seeing it.  It's not exactly packaged for distribution, but close
enough.

Thanks,

Jesse

--
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to
cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  If we say that we have not sinned, we

1024D/2E3EBF13 Jesse Jacobsen (Grace, Madison WI) <jmjaco@home.com>