[sword-devel] Early Church Fathers

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 12:02:23 -0700

After giving the sentence idea a bit more thought.

In the Bible format now used the verse is the smallest division. And verses
are the stuff of which all other divisions are made from. There are things
smaller than a verse, like notes and Strong's numbers, But they are treated
as part of a verse. There are also special verses, such as the zero verses
and blank verses. And all this is derived from a one verse per line, or
line by line, concept. Larger divisions point to smaller divisions and
ultimately to a verse which points to an offset in the data file.

Can we define a basic building block like the verse/line of the bible
format for free form? And is it needed?

I think we could come up with rules to decide when to start a new block,
such as when starting a new sentence. Perhaps the start of a table or a
cell would also start a new block. But just as a verse could have
numberings and notes, a basic block could have multiple items on it.

Then what is the next level up for a division? At what level do you get all
the formatting, font, background and other display info to put the smallest
blocks in proper display context?

But is all this needed? Html help files work ok. If we could just display
works in that format in a panel, it would be a good start. They have TOCs
and indexes. Build ThML into that and it would be nice. I like being able
to search for text and go right to the sentence, but if pages are small or
highlighting is good, going to a page works.

Jerry