[sword-devel] Windows Frontend Name?

Wed, 18 Apr 2001 21:28:32 -0700

> I love the Windows prototype Front-end! It addresses one of my main (silent)
> complaints about the windows front end, and that is that the views are all
> locked in their places. I like the way this new front-end feels. I can see
> it is going to be very nice when it is done.

Thanks.  I was trying to think of a new novel approach, and thought the
'AppBar' thing might be cool.  It works for dev tools like CBuilder.  I
don't like never being able to find my child windows, that's why I added
that tabs on the AppBar, and I don't like arranging MDI child windows,
so I used dockable frames.

> I am curious, I noticed the prototype is in the Builder 4 subdirectory. Is
> that what you are using to work on this prototype? Are you using plain
> Win32? Or are you using VCL that is provided with the Borland compiler?

Actually, as of yesterday, there is a CBuilder5/prototype directory.
And yes, I use VCL.  They do all the hard work for things like the dock
window, etc.

> The reason I ask is my wife just bought me the Borland Standard Suite. It came
> with Borland C++ Builder 5.0, Delphi 5.0 and JBuilder 4.0; $250 dollars of
> software for only $100. I might be able to help you with your prototype this
> summer, but I am a bit nervous using straight Win32. Either way (VCL or
> Win32) I am willing to learn if you need help in that area.

YES.  I would love help!  There is a project file named something like
swordprj.bpg in the prototype directory.  Let me know if 'CBuilder 5
Standard ed.' can open it and compile ok.  There's really alot of junk
in there.  I grabbed current win32 GUI and hacked it all up, so don't
get too discouraged.  If we like this UI approach, then we'll throw alot
of this stuff out and do it right.

> Glad to hear God is alive and at work in your family and that your mom is
> home. Praise God. :)

Thanks!

	-Troy.