[sword-devel] Some other fast search index options

Paul Gear sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 06:06:03 +1000

"Trandahl, Steve" wrote:

> I don't know too much about searching and compression algorithms, but here's
> a suggestion...  SWORD already has a compression/decompression module that
> was added to support STEP format Bibles.  As I understand it, the algorithm
> is public domain.  I haven't tested the compression portion of the code, but
> decompression works.

...sometimes.  I've certainly found some STEP books that it wouldn't
decompress correctly, but that could be just because of me making a
mistake with the rather obtuse API.

...and not with a very high compression ratio.  Far better to
standardise on something like zlib or bzip2.

Paul
---------
"He must become greater; i must become less." - John 3:30
http://www.bigfoot.com/~paulgear