C++ delete (Re: [sword-devel] Notes on the search progress bug)

Sat, 28 Oct 2000 21:17:44 -0700

> Why is there so much code like this in Sword?  Doesn't the C++ standard
> guarantee that delete will behave appropriately on a null pointer?

Got those zDrivers working yet? ;)

> If so, this code is redundant and confusing - it makes it look like scope
> is a boolean.  (All of this is one more good reason to use Java.  :-)

No, C++ does not define the behavior of what happens when you try to
free stack memory-- which I can actually try to do if I want to-- and
may want to, if I was building a low level driver, or interfacing with
assembly routines, or writing a memory handling system for an OS-- some
things for which you'll never find Java being used appropriately. ;)

	And the battle goes on...
		-Troy.