[sword-devel] SWORD features

Paul Gear sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 13:28:25 +1000

Michael Paul Johnson wrote:

> At 02:56 PM 10/20/00 -0700, Chris Little wrote:
> >I got the impression he was interested in us releasing something akin to
> >the rainbow study bible that has color-coded verses.
> >
> >If we want users to be able to color their own texts, we could do so using
> >ThML/GBF and writable modules.  If we wanted to do per-user coloring, that
>
> I don't like the idea of writing directly to the Bible modules and replicating the whole module per color. I'd much prefer color and underline highlighting information to be stored in an auxiliary file maintained for each user. To display the colors, an access function would get the "pure" Bible text from the GBF, ThML, or whatever format Bible file, then get the text display attributes for that text from the highlighting file and merge them in whatever format the display likes (i. e. RTF or HTML). The highlighting file could contain a list of highlighting attribute and start/stop word information for each color or attribute applied. If the start/stop word information is the actual word the highlighting is supposed to start or stop on (and possibly the number of the occurrence of the word in that verse), rather than the more obvious start at word 3 and go to word 7 sort of thing, then the same highlighting file might work correctly much of the time even if applied to the wro!
ng!
>  translation in the same language. A pure word indexing scheme would me more compact, however.

One more vote from me for one of MPJ's ideas.  I like the 'actual word
plus occurrence number in the verse' trick - for those English
translations that have a significant shared heritage (e.g. KJV, ASV,
RSV, NASB, NKJV), it could be very handy.

Paul
---------
"He must become greater; i must become less." - John 3:30
http://www.bigfoot.com/~paulgear