[sword-devel] I want to help - Copyright Holders

Joachim Ansorg sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 23:49:56 +0000

Hi!

> Hey Everyone,
>
>     I am interested in helping SWORD out by contacting the copyright
> holders of some of the locked modules, I do not have (yet) the ability to
> program, so I would like to help out in this way, for right now at least.

Help is really appreciated!

> My questions: What do I do? Where do I find the information about who holds
> what copyrights? Do I have to research it myself or does someone have it
> already? How do I approach it when I write the copyright holders or should
> I call them? What are our arguments for them to let us make them publicly
> available? Pretty much what is the basic stuff I need to know so that I can
> help out in this way. Thanks so much for your guy's time! SWORD is so
> awesome, now I know I have everything I need on Linux. :)

The .conf files do often contain information about the copyright of the
modules. Sometimes you have to search for yourself.
If you use BibleTime 0.3 or later click with the right mouse button on the
module and choose "About module".

I think writing them is better, but feel free to call them, too.
I think you should tell them that Sword is free and it's not made for profit
or sold for money.
They got the word of God for free so they should give it away for free.

But probably they refuse to give it away for free. If they answer in this
way, tell them that they could sell the unlock keys or the modules for Sword.
Tell them that we support Linux (and I think they do not), so they can get
more profit if they sell the keys or modules for Linux, too.

> -Jonathan
> BJW7TOAEM@aol.com

--Joachim