[sword-devel] Important things!

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 05 Oct 2000 23:02:00 -0700

> > Don't be afraid of the direction we are going with search.  I'll try to
> > ease your conscience:
> >       o There are many people who have expression the desire to search in
> > MANY different ways.
>
>But we shouldn't confuse them if we offer the different options. GUIs have to
>be simple, powerful and easy to use!

Sometimes I like to search for whole words only. Other times I like to
search by substrings of words. But I don't like having to remember what the
wild card symbols are, or having to enter them. Is it * or . or ?. Can I
use # or _? I prefer a toggle or a separate text box to enter them. I also
don't like trying to remember if it is AND or + or &, or OR or |, or NOT or
~ or - or !. I jump around between a lot of programs and web sites and
can't remember which uses what symbol. I find that well structured forms
with lots of options work best for me. If I get frustrated by a search
method I probably won't use that software much. But different people are
frustrated by different formats than that which frustrates me. Why not
support more than one? At least in the engine.

Jerry