[sword-devel] Sword questions

Jeffrey Hoyt sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 24 May 2000 17:44:11 -0700

Paul Gear wrote:

> I got the previous one twice.

Sorry, I think I was accidentally removed from the sword-devel list.

> I think that it would be nice to have this, too.  Unfortunately, gzip
> and pkzip are stream compressors, not block compressors, as Joachim has
> pointed out, so the entire file would have to be decompressed rather
> than just the appropriate parts.  Also, unlocking commercial texts
> requires saving a key to the .conf file, so i expect these would need to
> be outside the .ZIP file.

Good point.

> However, compression would really be a good idea.  (My hard drive is
> getting very full!)  STEP uses a block compression algorithm that allows
> fast, partial decompression.  It would be great if Sword could, too.

Are there any open source block de/compression programs?  Pardon my
ignorance on this subject.

> There is absolutely no reason that this is necessary, and a lot of good
> reasons why it is not.

Sorry, wasn't aware of that.  It would still be nice to be able to
hyperlink references from a commentary presenter to a Bible presenter.
I know that would entail a lot of extra work and possibly some extra C
coding, but it would be really useful.

By the way, I don't know what the GBF format is.  Would somebody tell me
or point me in the right direction?

Jeff

--
| http://jhoyt.faithweb.com |