[sword-devel] sword ideas

Jeffrey Hoyt sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 21 May 2000 21:49:28 -0700

I have an idea to share with you.  I have started seeing programs that
store information in a .gz format.  The new KWord stores its docs as a
gzipped file.  XMMS reads skins from a .zip file.  My idea is to have
Sword read modules from a
<module>.gz (or .tar.gz) file.  The .conf file should be included in
this zipped file.  Sword would read the .conf file from this, and you
wouldn't have to worry about cutting and pasting into modules.conf or
copying the .conf file into $SWORDDIR/mods.d directory  This would
simplify installation and usage.  There should also be only one
directory for modules, not 6 or 7  different directories within
$SWORDDIR/modules.

What do you think?

Also, it would be nice if the modules were in some sort of uniform
format, whether THML, HTML, RTF, or whatever.  That would sure simplify
things.

God bless,
Jeff
--