[sword-devel] Java Bibles

Joe Walker sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 19:17:58 +0000 (GMT)

Troy wrote:
> What kind of web interface are you using-- servlets? jsps?

XML/XSL/servlets.
I would have used JSPs except that they don't mix with XML particularly
well (the internal data transfers use XML) and given XSL there isn't a
huge amount of demand.

> > Shout if you are interested.
> > It may make lots of sense for my project to end up being part of Sword which is
> > fine by me - I'd be interested in other opinions.
>
> I would love to help write drivers that read our module formats so that
> we might share data.
> We'd love to sponsor your project also if you would like to use
> CrossWire's services (cvs / web / mail / listserv / ftp / etc.)

I've started setting up a SourceForge project but not got very far with
it.

> Let me know what you'd like to do.

I suggest you take a look at the code so far. There are a few bugs
that due to my dead NT box I won't get to fix for a week or so, but what
is there is good. It is uploading as I type, to:
  http://www.eireneh.com/projectb.zip

It would probably be a good idea if Troy/someone were to mirror it. It is
6Mb and I have a bandwidth limit... It would also be quicker for most
people to access since eireneh.com is in the UK.

Un-zip it. Stuff to see:
In the bin directory there are some .BATs that should give you a quick
idea. There are command line utils and whatnot.

It comes with full source which is GPL and may be of some use. If you want
to recompile it then make sure you understand how I've made JDK 1.2
collections work on JDK 1.1, You may need to edit the classpath a bit.

As far as I know it works on:
  NT JDK 1.2.2 and MVM
  Debian Linux 1.1.4
  Win95 JDK 1.2.2 and MVM
  NT JDK 1.3-rc1

HOWEVER if you use a 1.1 JDK you'll need to add swingall to the classpath.

It comes with an embedded apache (tomcat) web-server which you can start
using:
$ java DTools

and on the server tab there is a start webserver toggle. Pointing a
browser to one of:
  http://localhost:8080/examples/servlet/SPage
  http://localhost:8080/examples/servlet/SWeb

Should give you an idea. There is also an embedded Swing browser but you
might like to avoid that :)

PLEASE shout if you need any help. I am awhere that the release is a bit
rushed, if not premature. I will be more than happy to answer any
problems.

Troy, I'm also ahwere that I don't want to lower the s/n ratio for Sword
so I will be entirely happy if you want to direct traffic for this
elsewhere. I'll leave that up to you.

The download has finished now ...

With love in Jesus
Joe.