[sword-devel] a sword emacs mode

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 12:10:21 -0400 (EDT)

I have been using sword with bible time for a while now, and
one thing that I wanted to be able to do that I didn't know of any
other simple way to do, is to insert a biblical reference when
I am writing text.  I had not seen any emacs mode for sword, so
I have written a very simplistic one.

I have written an emacs mode that uses sword to insert biblical
references, searches, and lexical dictionary results.
This means that I can be typing, and then hit Control-c r, and then
a verse reference (like jas1:8), and then the reference is inserted
in the file:
James 1:8 "A double minded man is unstable in all his ways."

I don't know how to get emacs to call the sword library directly
(Does anyone know how I would get emacs to make such calls?), so
I compiled lookup, and search, from sword-1.5.0/examples/cmdline directory.
(to get it to compile I had to change word-1.5.0/examples/cmdline/Makefile
line 15 from
l = -lsword -lstdc++
l = -lsword -lstdc++ -lz
)
I then wrote a very simple similar program to lookup verses.

The mode works for me, but needs much work.
Would this be useful to people?  Would it be convienient to include in the
distribution of sword?

Richard Holcombe   raholcom@eos.ncsu.edu