[sword-devel] Doctrinal Statement

Dan Bertles sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 10:51:58 -0500

	From:	PAT RICHARDSON [SMTP:richardson@graindryers.com]
	Sent:	Friday, July 28, 2000 12:12 AM
	To:	sword-devel@crosswire.org
	Subject:	RE: [sword-devel] Doctrinal Statement

	...In this time period of babies in Christ and no mature remnant...

Of all the statements made on this subject, this one concerns me the most
and even offends me.  I'm not angry with the author, but disappointed that
there might be some that feel that Jesus Christ has failed us.

Matthew 16:18"I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I
will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.

It is Jesus Christ's job to build the church and He is doing His job.  We
dare not criticize the potter!  There is a remnant and a strong one!  I've
noticed it in this group.  We need to make sure we do not reduce Christ's
Lordship by what we see in the world or the church.  Yes, the church is
weak.

Matthew 24:12"Because lawlessness is increased, most people's love will grow
cold.

I've been chastised by the elders of my church because I refuse to stand by
and let them weaken it by making it palatable to the world.  We have failed
to properly equip the saints for works of service because we do not want to
offend the lost.  I stand among a remnant in my fellowship and equip as the
Lord enables me.  As I look at the people that I fellowship with, I say, the
remnant is strong, not because they are my remnant, but because they are
Christ's.

Lest any of us think we are better than anyone else, I include the words of
Isaiah as he discusses his own condition:

Isaiah 64:6For all of us have become like one who is unclean, And all our
righteous deeds are like a filthy garment; And all of us wither like a leaf,
And our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.

Isaiah 64:7-8There is no one who calls on Your name, Who arouses himself to
take hold of You; For You have hidden Your face from us And have delivered
us into the power of our iniquities.  But now, O LORD, You are our Father,
We are the clay, and You our potter; And all of us are the work of Your
hand.