[sword-devel] Doctrinal Statement

Philip Kapusta sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:30:26 -0400

> Just MHO, but regardless of being a "cult" or "sect," Christadelphians hold
> many core doctrines that I find totally incompatible with the Scriptural
> teachings. It's the old Arian heresy among other things.

While it is true that the Christadelphians do not believe in the Trinitarian teachings of Orthodoxy, it would be more accurate to
compare this sect's Christology with that of the first century Christian Jew's (circa. Pentecost and prior to John's death) rather
than with Arius' view of Christ.  They teach Jesus as the Seed of Abraham, the Son of David, the Messiah, the Anointed of God, the
King of the Jews, the only begotten Son of God, the prophet whom Moses promised, and who is now a high priest at God's right hand,
having risen from the dead; but they refrain from going much further than this.  Unlike the JW's, they do not believe that Jesus was
an angel.  They oppose the creeds that were formulated and hammered out by the Orthodox churches in the 3rd and 4th centuries in
respect to the nature of Christ.  As a result, they have often been labeled as Arians, albeit inaccurately in my opinion.

I don't want to distract others with this "digression" much longer, since I realize this mailing list is for issues related to the
Sword project, however, I do believe that we as Christians can be too quick to throw around the word "cult" without taking time to
understand how our prejudices (and ignorance) may be influencing how we use the word.