[sword-devel] automake

Edward Maros sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:29:35 -0700

--------------F526FBC3B762B52F61C4A519

"Troy A. Griffitts" wrote:

> Edward,
>         Had a chance to look at your automake stuff.  I was very impressed with
> that fact that you:
>         o Kept the directory hierarchy
>         o Produced both static and dynamic libs (with
>           versions and symlinks even) :)
>         o rebuilt dependent files properly, EVEN ON .H CHANGES.
>         o make clean removed your .libs dirs and other generated files

Most of this just happens by using automake/autoconf.

> I didn't understand:
>         -lz -lz -lz -lz ... on building of test progs

I too was surprised to see all of these and as of yet have not taken the
time to figure out where they are coming.

> Some questions:
>         o Can we support all of our 'Customizable Stuff' in
>           Makefile.cfg?

This should be very possible. I will try to get started this week.

>         o Is there an easy way to turn debug (also profiling and
>           optimization) on and off?

Very easy to do.

>         o Is it easy to add a new .cpp somewhere?  A new subdir?

New .cpp files are easier than subdirs.

> Concerns:
>         Will this run on a SPARC or other platform and produce
>         the correct defines?

Not quite sure what you are asking here. I can say that it is easy to
support additional Un*x platforms. I have not yet had any experience
with using automake/autoconf to support Win95/Win98.

>         Will it be easy for others (including me :)  ) to
>	  learn and maintain?

I find process of learning how to use the basic parts of autoconf and
automake easier than learning make. The hard part is with writing
autoconf scripts to test for some new characteristics. This requires
bourne shell programming knowledge.

>         THANK YOU!  I looks really cool!  I'm excited to
>         hear your answers and thoughts.

I am willing to head up efforts to support this part of the project.

--
------
Edward Maros                            emaros@ligo.caltech.edu

begin:vcard