[sword-devel] John Gill

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 05 Jul 2000 15:29:43 -0700

At 10:46 PM 7/4/2000 -0700, Chris Little wrote:
>  I believe I recall some stories
>about Larry placing digital watermarks in texts he didn't even create or
>sponsor (texts from bf.org IIRC) and then threatening to sue for unfair
>competition or some other such ludicrous thing.  Correct me if I'm wrong,
>those of you who know the story better--or am I completely confused? :)

Larry and the Institute for Creation Research have not contacted bf.org
about this. But, from what we hear from others, what you say is true. It is
said that they even claim files we helped to produce are bootlegged as are
files we house for others. We have communicated with people that produced
these files and they tell us they are contacted by others who have placed
them in software and then are forced to license what should be PD because
they don't what to fight in court, even though they are told Larry has no
grounds.

We have heard that we have been left alone because we provide the files for
free but people that try to charge anything for their software are hit for
royalties.

There used to be a site for one of the Christian Software producers that
had a page listing the copyright of works included on their CD. In the list
were a number of PD works that were listed as licensed through the
Institute for Creation Research. I remember one of them was a work that was
first scanned on Bible Foundation's scanner (back when few had scanners).
They had been told they could get the works for free but didn't want the risk.

I can't find that site anymore, but here is an interesting copyright notice:
http://bible.crosswalk.com/Information/KJVStrongsVersion.html

Compare it to other notices on the site. How hard would it be to say PD.
You have to wonder if perhaps they are afraid. Could be something else, but
it makes you wonder.

Jerry Hastings
hastings@bf.org