[sword-devel] InstallMgr, again

Paul Gear sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 15:37:42 +1000

darwin@ichristian.com wrote:

> Troy A. Griffitts writes:
>
> <Snipped wonderful news about Linux port of InstallMgr>
>
> > Does anyone know how to intercept a double-click on a GtkTree?
>
> I don't know how, but I am someone who started in Windows, and I have moved
> to Linux.  I have a STRONG opinion about double-clicking, and that is:
>
> Double clicking should be avoided as much as possible.

I think Darwin has a very good point here.  I probably would say "double
clicking should only be used when necessary and appropriate" instead of
"...avoided as much as possible", but then i would say that about most GUI
elements.  It is a good point, though.

> I know that double clicking is a "standard" way of doing many things, but
> it is an unneeded artifact of the Macintosh single button mouse that
> started the GUI environment.

Hmmm...  I think i'm beginning to see where Bill modelled his "crash once a
day feature", too.  :-)  (Except on Mac it was sometimes twice a day.  ;-)

> In a tree, I would suggest that clicking on the entry selects it.  If you
> need to expand or collapse a branch, I would prefer accomplishing this by
> clicking on a "+" or "-".  Other functions can be allocated to the other
> buttons.  There is always the fairly standardized process where the right
> mouse button calls up a menu.
>
> In an environment designed with a 3 button mouse as the norm, I would
> suggest exploring alternatives to double-clicking.

And you have to love X's highlight with button 1, paste with button 2 feature,
right?  Now i just wish i had a 3-button mouse at home!

> I think that we should explore other tree structures to come up with
> alternatives.

I think the usual +/- one is pretty good for most circumstances.

> But, as I said, I am biased...

But it's a _good_ biased!  8^)
--
Paul