[sword-devel] Red Letter text

Michael Paul Johnson sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 18:56:51 -0700

--=====================_3280260==_.ALT

At 09:52 PM 1/24/00 +0000, you wrote:

>Isn't the solution to have a tag that is understood to mean "these are the
>words of Jesus", as opposed to "this is in red". And then to allow users to
>display the text inside the "words of Jesus" tags however they please.

My thoughts, exactly.

>Surely quotation marks are only a similar mark put in to indicate a
>translators ideas about the original, and we are not arguing that they are
>blasphemous or anything?

You would be amazed what people argue about with Bible translators. (I
know... being the most publicly accessible English Bible translator on the
Internet). Quotation marks are a consequence of translation. Proper English
demands them. Translation is required by the Great Commission. (How else
are we going to spread the Gospel to ALL nations?) I really don't think God
would ask us to do something blasphemous.

_______

Michael Paul Johnson
mpj@eBible.org    http://ebible.org/mpj

--=====================_3280260==_.ALT

At 09:52 PM 1/24/00 +0000, you wrote:<br>
understood to mean &quot;these are the<br>
words of Jesus&quot;, as opposed to &quot;this is in red&quot;. And then
to allow users to<br>
display the text inside the &quot;words of Jesus&quot; tags however they
please.</blockquote><br>
My thoughts, exactly.<br>
put in to indicate a<br>
translators ideas about the original, and we are not arguing that they
are<br>
blasphemous or anything?</blockquote><br>
You would be amazed what people argue about with Bible translators. (I
know... being the most publicly accessible English Bible translator on
the Internet). Quotation marks are a consequence of translation. Proper
English demands them. Translation is required by the Great Commission.
(How else are we going to spread the Gospel to ALL nations?) I really
don't think God would ask us to do something blasphemous.<br>
Johnson&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;