[sword-devel] What is the minimum version of GCC required?

Glenn Reed sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 08:16:53 +1300 (NZDT)

Hi,

I think I might have found the problem of why my sword-1.4.6 won't
compile.  (Though I am not sure I understand the significance).

I am using GCC version 2.7.2.1.  It is not the latest version but it has
served me well up until now.  I see the line below says that namespaces
are broken in this version.

Then here is a summary of the lines of output from my make.  I was sure to
run a make clean first.

gcc -I../../include/ -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -c -pipe -Wall -Wno-format
-fomit-frame-pointer -s -O3 -m486 -o swconfig.o swconfig.cpp
In file included from swconfig.cpp:23:
../../include/swconfig.h:32: warning: namespaces are mostly broken in this
version of g++
../../include/swconfig.h:35: parse error before `<'
../../include/swconfig.h:36: `ConfigEntMap' was not declared in this scope
../../include/swconfig.h:36: type/value mismatch in template parameter
list for
`template <class Key, class T, class Compare> class map'

--- Anyway following pasted from 'swconfig.h' ------------------------
Line 32: using namespace std;
Line 33:
Line 34:
Line 35: typedef multimap <string, string, less <string> > ConfigEntMap;
Line 36: typedef map <string, ConfigEntMap, less <string> > SectionMap;
Line 37:

I don't really know what namespaces are in C++.  I know a little about
them with respect to TCL/TK.  I have got a book on C++ (Sams Publishing)
but it doesn't mention anything about namespaces.

Can anyone help me out here?  What version of GCC do I need to upgrade to?
Or what is the minimum GCC version required to compile sword?  Some of you
who have successfully compiled sword with your version of GCC could you
please let me know what version of GCC you are using.  Especially if you
are not using ecgs.

In Christ,
Glenn.

Glenn Reed		Email: g.reed@clear.net.nz