[sword-devel] Compression status

Paul Gear sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 12:29:20 +0000

Daniel Glassey wrote:

> On 13 Jan 00, at 16:36, Troy A. Griffitts sent forth the message:
>
> >  Daniel chose to use zlib instead of our LHZ compression algorythm.  I
> > wanted the framework to support either.
>
> Definitely a good idea, no need to be restrictive.

Definitely - how 'bout making it so that any compression algorithm can be
plugged in.

> > We chose LHZ because this is
> > what STEP uses.  We also include the algorythm in our code instead of
> > using external libraries.
>
> Just out of curiosity, is STEP still around? (www.bsisg.com isn't
> working right now)

Interesting - that is just what Craig Rairdin predicted.  Scary - Sword
might be the closest thing to a standard that Bible software will see!

> The advantage of using an external library is that you don't have to
> keep up with the modifications. On systems which should have the
> library already like linux, you can just use the shared library instead
> of compiling the code into your library.
> It would be worth keeping the zlib code in CVS though so that
> everyone has the source.

Good ideas, all of those.  I agree about the external library issue.

> I guess a decision will have to made about whether to use zlib, LHZ,
> or bzip or another for the main distribution of modules though. I
> guess the issues are going to be size of compressed module and
> decompression speed, but I don't yet know which will be best. All
> should definitely be supported though.

My vote goes to maxiumum decompression speed.
--
Paul
---------