[sword-devel] Design of curses version of bible.

The Schmidts sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 06 Jan 2000 12:28:51 -0500

Trevor Jenkins wrote:
<snip>

> You are making an assumption here that is not necessarily valid. For
> example, I do have a 486 machine running Linux. It does have a colour
> monitor and a mouse connected. However, it also has two VT320 terminals
> atached to it. These are real (n)curses devices without mice and only in
> colour green.
>
> Whilst having mice and colour support would be useful please don't make it
> mandatory.
>
> Regards, Trevor
>
> British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living
> language. So recognise it now.

>From my original post:

>So, it's just an issue of programming it in such away that if the terminal is
capable of color/mouse it uses it,
>and if not, it should still be usable.

i.e.: i agree with you ;-)

As far as color/mouse support goes, my post was in regards to backward
compatability with the BSD curses library, not terminals.  Ncurses will
automatically, I believe, switch output that you've color encoded to some sort of
highlighting scheme if the terminal is incapable of color, and if the terminal
doesn't have a mouse (e.g. most terminals) will just ignore mouse code (which
means that you've got to program some way of accomplishing the same task with the
keyboard, of course).

Regards,

Jeff Schmidt