[sword-devel] How do I access RAW locked modules

Michael Paul Johnson sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 04 Jan 2000 22:19:10 -0700

--=====================_5782340==_.ALT

At 06:09 PM 1/5/00 +1300, Glenn Reed wrote:
>Hi,
>
>As a non-US resident developer would I be allowed to access locked
>modules?  From what I've read of your docs there is some sort of export
>restriction on certain translations (or encryption).

Yes, IF the copyright owner grants you permission. Export restrictions are
indeed a hassle, but there are loopholes large enough to drive a
supertanker through. Getting copyright permission from Zondervan is another
matter.

>If I might ask a blunt question, how come the Lockman Foundation (NASB)
>and Zondervan Corporation (NIV), amongst others, are requiring that the
>texts be locked with export-prohibitive encryption anyway?  Are they
>against the spread of the gospel?

No, they aren't against the spread of the gospel -- as long as they get
their royalty payment. They are in this business for the money.

_______

Michael Paul Johnson
mpj@eBible.org    http://ebible.org/mpj

--=====================_5782340==_.ALT

At 06:09 PM 1/5/00 +1300, Glenn Reed wrote:<br>
As a non-US resident developer would I be allowed to access locked<br>
modules?&nbsp; From what I've read of your docs there is some sort of
export<br>
restriction on certain translations (or encryption).</blockquote><br>
Yes, IF the copyright owner grants you permission. Export restrictions
are indeed a hassle, but there are loopholes large enough to drive a
supertanker through. Getting copyright permission from Zondervan is
another matter.<br>
Lockman Foundation (NASB) <br>
and Zondervan Corporation (NIV), amongst others, are requiring that
the<br>
texts be locked with export-prohibitive encryption anyway?&nbsp; Are
they<br>
against the spread of the gospel? </blockquote><br>
No, they aren't against the spread of the gospel -- as long as they get
their royalty payment. They are in this business for the money.<br>
Johnson&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;