[sword-devel] search idea

geoffrey W Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 17:16:46 -0800

At 01:29 PM 1/3/2000 +0000, Trevor Jenkins wrote:
>The presence of Strong's numbers n a translation would (implicitly)
>introduce a suitable field into the schema.

>And if someone is using a Bible translation without Strong's numbers but
>does a search for them, just search a translation that does have them
and
>then display the verses in the translation that doesn't have them. If
you
>are searching for words and numbers, search for the words in the Bible
>translation that does not have the numbers and use another with numbers
>search for the numbers. You won't be able to see which words goes with
the
>numbers, but often you can tell which ones they must be. I don't know
>anyone that does phrase searches with Strong's numbers, so word order is
>not important. All that matters in most searches for Strong's numbers is
>that a verse is a hit when all the numbers and words for the search are
>found in the verse (AND).

Jerry

I do a phrase search in Online Bible using a combination of a word and a
Strongs #
It is like doing a partial Youngs concordant type of search.

Example: " faith 4102 " will find all the places that Strongs # 4102
(pistis) is translated faith.

Example: You could also do "Love" with the Strongs # for Phileo or Agape

I had someone today ask me at work if I knew of any program that had
Youngs Concordance. (I thought it to be interesting timing considering
this post)
I think it would be handy. To do a search for a word such as Love and get
the verses listed in order by  the Greek or Hebrew word that they
represent with the small definition of that word at the head of each
list.

I don't know how easy or possible that would be though

Geoff Hastings